Saturday, May 12, 2012

Transversing the Middle East: Part 3

It's a terrible thing to realize after starting a blog that you suck at actually writing in it. But despite being home already I am still going to finish this because I still have a lot to talk about regardless of where I am writing this from.

Part 3 is about Tunisia

Tunisia is a strange place. Colonized by the French during the whole scramble for Africa the people of Tunisia have this beautiful blend of French and Arabic that makes it even harder for poor westerners to understand the local population., Oh did I mention that the Arabic is different? It's different and half the words that we did know were useless here. Luckily I had my French. Thank God for my French classes in High School because otherwise I would have died here (they put Tuna Fish on EVERYTHING so I had to nicely ask them not to do that.)

We stayed in two cities while in Tunisia. Tunis, the capital city where the beginning of the Arab Spring started (literally down the street and around the corner) and Kairouan, the third holiest city in Islam.
While in Tunisia we went to a Mosque, went to the US Embassy, listened to lots of speakers and saw the newly democratized Tunisian's marching in front of our hotel using their new found freedom of speech to rally people for their political party. 

 We went to the beach twice, first was in this beautiful little seaside town where we picked up seashells and soaked up the sun. The second time was when a small group of us went to a port. We saw beautiful boats and happy people laughing and enjoy the sunny day. I heard bits and pieces of French and Spanish, a German couple were telling a joke, and Arabic being shouted across the courtyards.

We went to Carthage, a city that ruled the Mediterranean Sea until the Romans burned it down. The ruins were amazing and really meant something as I walked through the baths and arches. At one point I stopped and looked at the crumbling pieces and remembered that life, civilization, and the world all falls apart. The spirit of a civilization remains by only how much is left over and once all of it degrades and crumbles into dust and once there is no one to remember it becomes a mystery and a puzzle for future generations to piece together.

In the theme of mystery and the crumbling of life into dust, the last thing I want to talk about is the cemetery that we visited. It was the World War Two North Africa cemetery and seeing the hundreds of white marble crosses and stars of David mark the green plot of land in the small section of the Tunisian coastline. While walking the grounds, I found crosses that were for many soldiers, unknown but stilled loved by people. I found soldiers of almost every branch of the US Military, but the thing that still resonates with me is finding a cross with gold lettering. This gold lettering designated that the man buried there was awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor. The man buried there, after a bit of research turned out to be a Polish immigrant. He left his country became a citizen, joined the Army and then gave his life for the country that he believed would make his life better.

Thanks for reading. Peace and Love      

No comments:

Post a Comment